Thermocompression bonding can be used for wire bonding or Flip Chip bonding. It needs contacts made of ductile materials, e.g. stud bumps created from Au wires. These can be located on either the substrate or component. On the opposite side, flat contacts, preferably of the same material, serve as bonding partners.
Without the necessity of liquefying the contact material, thermocompression bonding generates a joint by material engagement, providing acceptable mechanical firmness and steadiness as well as a good electrical conductance. Especially in connection with Flip Chip bonding, this process improves the RF properties of the bonding joint.
What are the Challenges?
- Apply force and heat to the component simultaneously
- Minimize substrate heater's compliance to absorb bonding force without deformation
- Prevent thermal drift of heated area over a large temperature range (requires sophisticated support elements in connection with thermally compensated materials)
- Provide thermally and mechanically stable component heater
- Provide stable, fine resolution bonding force control to bond even the thinnest and most brittle materials, as well as large components with lots of bumps
- Achieve micron range coplanarity between component and substrate (requires adapted tooling or sensors and activators to detect and compensate deviations)
The Finetech Solution
Integrated Process Management (IPM)
The Integrated Process Management (IPM) is the center piece of a FINEPLACER® system1 - the place where it all comes together. IPM is more than just thermal management. It synchronizes the control of all process modules and their related parameters:
- Controlled and precisely balanced interaction of top and bottom (pre-)heating and cooling
- Control of temperature, time, force, power, energy, flow
- Process-integrated camera and light control
- Controlled process gas integration for reduced solder contamination, minimized surface tension effects and smooth spherical solder residues
IPM is very complex, yet easy to access. Via the GUI of the operating software, the user has perfect control of all required adjustments. Just drag 'n drop to define temperature ramps or activate process modules. All settings are represented in only one profile, making for a very intuitive work flow.
The operating software provides an ever-growing library of profiles for all kinds of processes. It also offers comprehensive data logging functions essential for statistical process control.
In combination with the system-to-system process transfer capability this is as easy as process development can get.
1 FINEPLACER® core offers co-ordinated top and bottom heating but does not support IPM
FINEPLACER® Bonding Systems
Due to the modular design approach, FINEPLACER® bonding systems can be configured for virtually any application challenge.
The main distinguishing features between the machines are the
- degree of automation
- optical resolution and
- placement accuracy
Browse our product range or get in contact with your sales contact to figure out the best equipment solution for your specific application requirements.