Densely packed multiplex transmitters, receivers and combined devices are cornerstones of new photonic applications to achieve highest data rates. Bonding these components demands high-accuracy alignment in combination with specific bonding technologies.
Finetech's semi and fully-automated FINEPLACER® systems offer complete solutions with highly reproducible precision for VCSELs and photo diodes. One system can perform the complete assembly:
- Pick up components from various presentations (ie: GelPak®)
- Dip components into glue or dispense glue on programmed positions
- Automated alignment and bonding of various components
- Easy-to-adapt library system for fast process development
- Integrated measurement functions to observe bonding results
What are the Challenges?
- Gentle handling of small components and fragile materials
- Bonding optically active structures face up or flipped
- From single emitters to 12x arrays
- No-touch zones
- Delicate topology of LD and PD surfaces
- Position referencing chip-to-substrate or chip-to-chip
- Apply adhesives of small and reproducible volumes
- Embedded thermal or UV curing
- Bonding of glue-dipped components
- Align and bond optical lenses
The Finetech Solution
Up to 0.5 µm Bonding Accuracy + Passive Optical Alignment
Active alignment, normally needed in such an application, can be simplified or even avoided by using high accurate optical alignment and placement.
Bonded emitter arrays can be perfectly aligned relative to photodiode arrays to directly match defined parallel links. Lens arrays can additionally be mounted to complete a fiber optic interface.
Extended Field of View + High Magnification
Small structures to be recognized require high optical magnifications. Usually, this results in a small field of view, restraining the flexibility of a PR system.
With its fast and high precision optics movement, the FINEPLACER® enlarges its field of view without compromising accuracy.
Thus, large components and substrates can be captured and observed with the same quality as tiny ones. For VCSEL and PD arrays with dimensions of 200 µm x 3000 µm and more but active structures below 5 µm this benefit can be important.
FINEPLACER® Bonding Systems
Due to the modular design approach, FINEPLACER® bonding systems can be configured for virtually any application challenge.
The main distinguishing features between the machines are the
- degree of automation
- optical resolution and
- placement accuracy
Browse our product range or get in contact with your sales contact to figure out the best equipment solution for your specific application requirements.