Flip Chip rework is a rather new field becoming more and more important in order to save costs by recycling valuable materials. Typical flip chip applications can be found in TFT display technology which is used for LCD, plasma, e-ink, OLED or 3D technologies.
A high quality, large format TFT/LCD panel is a good example for economic flip chip rework of chip on glass (COG) in combination with rework of ACF-bonded flex foil on PCB or panel (chip on flex (COF)). Exploiting one panel to repair ten or more other defect panels is the last resort if there is no more access to virgin material (OEM), if virgin material is too expensive or in case of EOP (end of production). This is especially interesting for production or warranty & service centres, but also for R&D.
What are the challenges?
- Bare, sensitive components with high packaging density
- Chip sizes with special LxW ratios (example: LxWxH=20,0 x 1,5 x 0,35 [mm])
- High number of I/O (300 or more)
- Chip pitch of 60 µm (line/gap=25/35[µm])
- Handling large TFT panel sizes (32” or more)
- Particular demands on machine, tooling / fixtures and process reliability
- Every working step of the rework sequence requires a high degree of process stability and safety to reach a high rework yield
The Finetech Solution
Flip Chip Rework: Chip on Glass (COG)
Example for COG: panel and chip preparation for reassembly
- Open the monitor cover
- TFT panel load on clamping table
- Chip alignment in reference to removal tool
- Chip removal by IPM for simultaneous process run with defined parameters (temperature, force, vacuum) and table movement
- Clean panel and chip separately
- Apply ACF segment on TFT panel
- Pick up the cleaned chip with the bonding tool
- Chip alignment by using the fiducial marks, supported by tool fine rotation
- Start automated bonding process
- Close monitor cover and function test
Controlled Mixed Soldering System
Finetech’s unique thermal management concept uses “cold” air or gas (typically nitrogen) introduced into the hot-gas stream in a mixing chamber. The chamber location is just before the air passes through the nozzle onto the component. This gas mixture results in a highly responsive system - reducing over and under-shoot to barely perceptible levels. Tracking of the pre-set temperature is optimized and when combined with mass-flow-control of gas volumes (up to 70L/min), produces an effective heat delivery system. Heater lifetime is also increased and system-to-system reproducibility is greatly enhanced (±2ºC).
Integrated Process Management (IPM)
The Integrated Process Management (IPM) is the center piece of a FINEPLACER® system1 - the place where it all comes together. IPM is more than just thermal management. It synchronizes the control of all process modules and their related parameters:
- Controlled and precisely balanced interaction of top and bottom (pre-)heating and cooling
- Control of temperature, time, force, power, energy, flow
- Process-integrated camera and light control
- Controlled process gas integration for reduced solder contamination, minimized surface tension effects and smooth spherical solder residues
IPM is very complex, yet easy to access. Via the GUI of the operating software, the user has perfect control of all required adjustments. Just drag 'n drop to define temperature ramps or activate process modules. All settings are represented in only one profile, making for a very intuitive work flow.
The operating software provides an ever-growing library of profiles for all kinds of processes. It also offers comprehensive data logging functions essential for statistical process control.
In combination with the system-to-system process transfer capability this is as easy as process development can get.
1 FINEPLACER® core offers co-ordinated top and bottom heating but does not support IPM
FINEPLACER® Rework Systems
Amongst other factors, the recommended system mainly depends on size and pitch of your component and the required process flexiblity.
Browse our product range or get in contact with your sales contact to figure out the best equipment solution for your needs.